Thursday, June 23, 2011

JOUR 2 Hilights

I've always had a healthy distrust of the media and marketing as a whole, though I partook in the practice of propaganda and aggressive sales tactics myself.  My feelings about how television, advertising, and pretty much any product that's in the business of making money, operated, were reinforced by taking JOUR 2.  One of the many highlights for me was finding out the timeline of when certain mediums came into play.  The term shellac, was one I've never heard of until my wife told me about this specific style of nails she wanted.  Later on that week, I learned that shellac was type of wax that was used for audio recordings int the 50's.  So, yes that was a popular topic at my house for that week.  My favorite discovery was the work and the affect that Edward Bernays had on our society.  He's now one of my heroes, and yet I kinda see him as an evil genius.  I can't say enough about how cool our teacher was.  The fact that she was so flexible with everyone's individual situations, shows how understanding and reasonable she is.  I remember one day coming in to class with a heavy heart, and seeing her put the Giant's scoreboard on the projector.  That was a hug highlight for me.

1 comment: