Friday, May 27, 2011

Internet- The Death of Social Communication

For me, the internet is a tool that I use to make my life a little easier.  I spend about an hour and a half, a day searching for specific information, banking, or emailing. Even when I visit social sites or music sites, I spend very little time on them.  I have friends who watch television shows and movies online, but I still choose to watch tv shows, on the tv. I think due to the fact that I'm back in school, my usage of the internet has increased significantly.  Don't get me wrong, it's not like I dislike the internet.  I honestly just don't have the time to spend surfing on the web.

I remember a time when the idea of emailing was new and not used by many.  Now a days, emailing and texting has become the most widely used form of communication.  With the smartphones, you can practically do anything that you could do on your home computer.  I've seen people in the club updating their facebook accounts, emailing, even working on pdf files for work. It's quite helpful and empowering to have such a tool.  You pretty much have a computer in your palm.  If you take look at any "social setting" such as a mall, club, or school, you'll see everybody walking around with their heads down and their fingers typing away.  We look like zombies being guided by our pda's, laptops and iphones. Social contact is dying, and the art of conversation has been replaced by popular acronyms. Lol.  I didn't want to talk about one specific person, because I feel like a lot people fit this description. I've had friends ignore me while I talked, because they were texting or facebooking someone. I've done the same to them.



1 comment:

  1. I hate it when I'm talking to someone and they're pretending to listen while they're texting or whatever. Good commercial.

    ReplyDelete